Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review: Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
ISBN9780312642976
Format: E-book
SynopsisRapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can. (Via Goodreads)
-----------------------------------------------------
My Thoughts

Now that I've finally gotten with the program (do people say that anymore?), I am absolutely, positively in love with the Lunar Chronicles. Part of me is wondering why I waited so long, but the other part of me is quite glad because I do not like waiting for series books to come out. Wanna torture me? Give me a great book that's part of a series but the other books in the series haven't been released yet. 

Basically, I'm just glad that I was able to buy Cress as soon as I was done with Scarlet (that review is coming soon too). 

Rapunzel is one of my favorite fairytale stories of all time so I was a little wary to see what Meyer was going to do with the story. I wasn't sure how the whole sci-fi and spaceships thing was going to work in the retelling of Rapunzel stories. But I am glad that I decided to push away those stupid negative feelings because Cress is definitely my favorite in the entire Lunar Chronicles series!


First things first, Cress herself. Cress is probably the most adorable human (....lunar?) being ever. Of all time. She's sweet, innocent, naive, and such a hopeless romantic. I found myself relating to her better than I did with Scarlet or Cinder. At first, I found myself wondering how this girl was going to fit in with the fierce heroines that are Scarlet and Cinder, but as the story went on she just fit. It seemed to me that the previous books were missing her presence--like she should have been there all along. Cress herself has a beautiful story from beginning to end. I may have shed a few tears. Multiple times. 

And now, let's move on to the wonder that is Thorne. I have to be honest, I wasn't a big fan of him in Scarlet (because my mind was 100% on Wolf then...we'll discuss this later), but I absolutely LOVE him in Cress. He and Cress have such an interesting dynamic. And he overcomes some obstacles in the book the proves that he's the all powerful Captain Carswell Thorne. OK, maybe he isn't all powerful, but those obstacles did provide him with more character depth--which is what I like to see. Also, he is Flynn Rider.


Of course, old friends join along in the fun, too! I love how Meyer is able to use different POVs and can tell different parts of the story without making it totally confusing. We're also introduced to a few new (and important) characters along the way. I am loving how each different character, major or minor, has an important place in the plot. There are connections everywhere! 

Marissa Meyer does a great job of adapting the fairytales into the world she has created with ease and simplicity. While the fairytale underbelly is not completely overwhelming, it's obviously there. I love that she's able to place her own spin on the fairytale plots while remaining true to said plots (this is important for a fairytale buff like me!).

I read Cress in less than a day because I absolutely could not put the book down. Seriously. I was on vacation with my best friend and instead of doing fun vacation things like going to the beach, we stayed in our hotel room and read all day because I just couldn't tear myself away. Cress was an emotional roller coaster ride (cliche, I know) but in a completely good way. I know that a book is good when I actually get emotionally invested in the story. Crying is usually a good indicator too. I absolutely recommend this book and the Lunar Chronicles to any and every one. Seriously, if there's just one book series that you read this year this would be the one to read! 

Cress is definitely deserving of the very first 5-star rating that I'm giving out this year!

Now, if only it were 2015 so I could get my hands on Winter already!

No comments:

Post a Comment